Monday, September 7, 2009

This Week's Haul

Alright, I’m still catching up on reviews, annotations and the like. Let’s just jump right into this week’s batch of books, okay?


Batman Confidential #33: Ah, as much as I like Dick Grayson as Batman, it’s good to see Bruce again. I also forgot how much I enjoy Peter Milligan’s Batman. The story’s nothing universe-altering, but it’s a fun, classic-Batman romp.


North 40 #3: A step-up from last issue, but I still think that Williams needs to stop jumping around between scenes so much. I know that he’s trying to cover a lot of ground, but he’s created such interesting and unique characters that I want to spend just a little more time with them.


Supergirl Annual #1: Two stories in this issue, the first dealing with Supergirl and how she deals with her secret identity as Linda Lang, and the second focusing on Lucy Lane and how she became Superwoman. Unfortunately, neither story really packs a enough of a punch and both fall flat, but I’ll give Gates points for trying.


Solomon Grundy #7: Rampant destruction and monster-bashing comes to an end as the murderer of Cyrus Gold stands revealed, and we witness the birth of Black Lantern Solomon Grundy! Ooooh, scary stuff, kids…


Red Tornado #1: Reddy’s on a quest to find his long-lost brothers and sisters. Unfortunately, Luis’ art is stiff and uninspired, and the most interesting scenes in the book belong to the Red Volcano, while the title hero spends his time lost in internal monologue hell.


Justice League: Cry for Justice #3: Has it really been a whole months since the Hal-Helena-Zinda threesome debacle? Gee, how time flies. Anyway, this time around, Robinson kills a few more heroes and villains, writes some witty dialogue for Congorilla and Starman, and introduces us to the big bad. However, the story’s dragging. Can we pick up the pace? Please?


Batman #690: Yep, I’m still digging Winick-writing-Dick-As-Batman. This title might not be as wild and crazy as Batman and Robin, but we’re getting inside Dick Grayson a bit more, seeing how he actually feels about taking over the mantle of the Bat. And, for me, it works.


Strange Adventures #7: Starlin’s cosmic epic is almost over. I’ve enjoyed it, but now it just seems to be getting played out. I think that it’s about time for Adam Strange and Comet to meet up with the R.E.B.E.L.S. Anyone else agree?


Final Crisis Aftermath: Run! #5: The JLA finally tracks down the Human Flame, but he’s more powerful than ever. Sturges has done what no other writer of these Final Crisis Aftermath mini-series has been able to do – introduce wild, Grant Morrison-inspired concepts and still tell a comprehensible story. A 26-dimensional hypergriffen? Cool.


Jonah Hex #47: “The Six Gun War” continues as Hex and company go from the frying pan into…well, you know the rest. Gray and Palmiotti’s first multi-issue storyline is a treat, but I’ll enjoy a return to the one-issue stories in a few months time.


And now, the book of the week is…


Magog #1: Hunh? I know, I know, that was my reaction too, until I thought about it a bit. Like last month’s Doom Patrol #1 (also written by Giffen), this book spells out from the very beginning what it’s all about. Magog’s a hero, but he’s also a soldier. He does what’s necessary to save lives, and isn’t above killing his foes to do so. Still a hero, but one who comes into conflict with his teammates. He has a strong moral code. We’re also introduced to his base of operations and a small supporting cast. Is it the best issue of the year? Nope. I also have doubts that this title will last beyond twelve issues, given that Magog isn’t exactly a household name. However, it’s a strong debut, and does exactly what a first issue should – make you interested enough to pick up the second.

2 comments:

Gary said...

You know, having read that I might pick up Magog #1 this week - it is Giffen after all and I do like his stuff.

Andrew Dowdell... said...

Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised...and I do love Giffen, but I was wary of this, because I really wasn't all that crazy about Magog...like I said, it provides a great "mission statement" and rationale for not only the character, but the book as well...